Monday, June 9, 2008

Tourism in ruins!


I am just about to wrap up my stint of stay in Karnataka, the place that boasts of having the "silicon valley" of India, Bangalore. Just before I leave this place for good, I , like all Indians, am in the process of marking my attendance in the places of interest around Mysore. So yesterday, we planned to go to the nearby tourist spot of Thalakad, around 75 kms away from Mysore.However the trip turned out to test my driving skills to the hilt and I guess we will land up remembering the trip for the horrifying journey than the beauty of the place.
Its so saddening to see the state of tourism in Karnataka. Our last journey to Ooty gave me a hands on experience of how it must be to drive through roads after an earthquake rips it off. To come to think of it, I guess, the orthopedicians in this state should pay some commission to the government for getting them patients with low backaches,as the bad travel must be contributing to a significant number of victims turning to the doctors for relief.
On a more serious note, I don't know why a bad and sorry experience is required to awaken the government. I bet only after a major accident claims the life of poor tourists that the headlines would be grabbed and the government would land up doing "too little too late" to improve the pathetic state of the roads in Karnataka.
Our politicians are so busy grabbing the gaddi from each other that miss out opputunities to increase the revenue for the government.God has been so kind and bestowed so much to us in the form of heritage and scenic beauty that its a crime and unpardonable offence not to recognise it and use it to promote tourism. A small country like Maldives which thrives and survives on tourism would have been enough to make a responsible government make best of the beauty in the country.
I don't understand why do these netas make big issues about the Indian culture when they really have done nothing to preserve the past. I guess, politics is all about just talks relating to POLL- TIC king in the mind of the dirty politicians of this country and they fail to see beyond it...........!

No comments: